Savernake Forest is a remarkable area of Wiltshire. Book your Savernake Forest camping trip at our Postern Hill Campsite below. Read more.
Our Campsite in the Savernake Forest:
Savernake Forest is the only ancient woodland owned privately, rather than by the Crown and has been passed down through more than 30 generations. The land is leased to Forestry England, and its privately owned status maintained by closing access to it one day a year.
Much like all of England’s stunning ancient forests, there’s plenty to see and do. Savernake is made up of a variety of towering trees, including oak, beech and hazel. Savernake Forest is also home to one of the country’s oldest trees, the Big Bellied Oak which you can see on the side of the A346. There are four species of deer in the forest and many types birds including the lesser spotted woodpecker and firefinch. These unique features provide the perfect setting for a relaxing camping holiday in Wiltshire.
More on our Savernake Forest Campsites
One of the more unique campsites in Wiltshire, Postern Hill offers the chance to pitch up among the ancient trees, deep in the woodland. Camping here in Wiltshire gives you direct , unrestricted access to the woodlands that surround you.
A mix of pitches mean you can sit in the open, appreciating the views the site offers, or find a more secluded spot amongst the trees to be truly under the canopy. This campsite offers full toilet and washing facilities, making it accessible for all kinds of campers.
Things to do when camping in the Savernake Forest, Wiltshire
There’s an abundance of things to do in Wiltshire and for those camping in the Savernake forest.
- With so much woodland to explore, why not head off on two feet and enjoy some of the many local walks?
- Have you heard of the Wiltshire White Horses? Carved into regions hillsides, dating back 250 years, there are 8 to visit during your camping trip.
- If it rains during your camping trip with us, there are plenty of indoor activities to keep you busy.
- Visit the residents of Longleat Safari Park and enjoy the house and grounds.
- Explore one of the UK’s most iconic monuments, Stonehenge.
- Learn about Britain’s prehistoric past on a trip to see the Avebury Stone Circles.
View all of our UK campsites.